top of page

Automotive/Motorcycle Insurance 101 

Standard Auto Insurance

Florida's minimum coverage is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability (PDL) as long as you have a valid Florida license plate.
What is "Personal Injury Protection" (PIP) insurance?
Also called Florida no-fault Insurance, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance covers you regardless of fault (i.e. whether or not you cause the accident) – up to the limits of your policy. Your PIP will also cover your children, members of your household, certain passengers who lack PIP Insurance as long as they do not own a vehicle.

People riding in your vehicle who carry PIP will receive coverage under their own PIP for their injuries, and certain licensed drivers who drive your vehicle with your permission. PIP also covers your children, if he or she suffers an injury while riding on a school bus. PIP coverage protects you while in someone else's vehicle, as a pedestrian, or bicyclist if you suffer an injury in a crash involving a motor vehicle. The Florida Motor Vehicle No-Fault Law, requires all owner/registrants of a motor vehicle with four wheels or more to carry a minimum of $10,000 of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and $10,000 of property damage liability (PDL) if you own a motor vehicle in Florida. Florida law requires you to maintain PIP/PDL insurance continuously throughout the licensing and registration period.

What is " Bodily Injury Liability" (BIL) insurance?

Bodily Injury Liability coverage pays for serious and permanent injury or death to others when you cause a crash involving your automobile. Your insurance company will pay for injuries up to the limits of your policy and provide legal representation for you if you get sued. In particular, your company pays for injuries caused by you or members of your family who live with you, even if they were driving someone else's vehicle. It may also cover others who drive your automobile with your permission. This coverage also provides you with legal defense in the event you are sued by the injured party.

What is "Property Damage Liability" (PDL) insurance?

This coverage pays for damages you or members of your family cause (and are liable for) to other people's property in a crash involving a motor vehicle.


Because of the legal severity of the infraction, drivers arrested for a DUI are often required to carry high-risk insurance. For this reason, many individuals find themselves dropped from their existing coverage. The first step toward getting your license back is to secure the necessary insurance. A broker can help seek out companies willing to extend high-risk insurance and can help find coverage at a price you can afford.


Florida DUI Insurance Requirements

Referred to as FR-44 insurance coverage, Florida Statute 324.023, mandates that any person convicted of DUI in the state of Florida is required to obtain a minimum level of insurance coverage before they can reinstate their driver’s license and also maintain this coverage for three-years after the date of conviction.

Minimum Insurance Coverage Limits

In Florida, this minimum level of insurance coverage is $100,000 per person, $300,000 per occurrence and $50,000 property damage and breaks down as follows:

  • $100,000 per person, per accident for Bodily Injury Liability damages. While you may have $300,000 in total coverage for a single occurrence, each injured individual can be paid no more than $100,000 for bodily injury sustained in an accident.

  • $300,000 per accident for Bodily Injury Liability damages. This is the minimum amount your your insurance must be able to pay to all claimants in an accident. This coverage covers the medical bills, lost wages, and other personal injuries of a person injured by you.

  • $50,0000 in property damage caused by the accident. If you collide with another automobile, it is this portion of your insurance coverage that pays for the other automobile’s repair or replacement.

Get A Quote
Let our agents customize a quote for your needs
For An Immediate Quote Call (239) 254-9005

Thanks! Message sent.

bottom of page